Friday, April 15, 2011

The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins








It's been almost six years since Lucy's husband, Jimmy, died in a car accident. It's been about three years since Lucy and Jimmy's younger brother Ethan's relationship turned from "best friends" to "friends with benefits". It's been only a few hours since Lucy's little sister Corrinne delivered a healthy baby girl. That's when Lucy realizes she's missing something--and that something is not just Jimmy, either. It's a baby. And then she decides that she needs to get back out there, get on that horse again and find a husband. So of course, that means breaking up with Ethan--not that they were ever really "together" in the first place. Ethan is, of course, definitely not someone she should marry. He's someone that she knows she could love, if she'd just let herself. But, she can't do that. He could die and she'd be broken all over again. She needs a man who is bearable to live with, who would make a great father--much like Ethan--, and who is not too lovable. But, to do this, she first has to let go of Jimmy.


I knew this was going to be a good one from the moment I read the summary. I mean think about it: a book about a widow who has a less than appropriate relationship with her dead husband's brother? Don't tell me that doesn't sound interesting to you. 


Now, I believe that those of us who aren't stupid will have predicted the ending of this one before the end of the second chapter. This is the first novel that I've read by Kristan Higgins, although I've seen her books on plenty of shelves in plenty of stores before. I think I'll have to give the rest of her books a try. Let's hope they're as good as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...