Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hex Hall Series: Book 1 and 2 by Rachel Hawkins





Before I read this series, I was pretty much turned off the whole paranormal romance thing, because there are just too many of them, and the monotony is killing me. It's rare that you're find a normal normal YA romance novel these days. But it's not just that. That's not the reason why I'm turned off of the genre. It's mainly because they're all the same. The same mythical creatures, the same story formulas. 


But, this one was different, which is why I absolutely loved it. So many twists and turns. It just really kept me guessing. 


The only thing I didn't like was it's blatant similarities to the Evernight Series. And don't tell me that you've read both series and didn't notice! Think about it: girl goes to school designed to train and help [insert mythical creature here] control their powers, girl meets boy at the aforementioned school, girl and boy fall in love/like, girl discovers that boy is actually a member of a secret organization devoted to hunting and killing [insert mythical creature here], boy flees school, girl is forbidden to see boy, boy and girl can't stay away from each other and end up sneaking out to see each other, girl and boy are discovered by [insert name of third (male) member of love triangle here] but he is so in love with girl that he agrees to keep their secret.


So, as you can see, the Hex Hall series had quite a few similarities. But, hex Hall is also very different from Evernight. The Demon/Witch thing was the biggest difference, and while I'm usually opposed to books that contain demonic characters (lie), it was one of the main reasons I loved this series so much. I seriously cannot wait for book three. Demon Glass left on on sort of a cliffhanger. And, it has me really confused on who Sophie should choose. It's like an Edward vs. Jacob thing, except it's Archer vs. Cal. She loves Archer more, but Cal is better for her. Why? Well, let's see here: he's noble, smart, sexy..... But then again, isn't Archer all of those things, too. Well, Cal has something that Archer doesn't--or, more accurately, Archer is something that Cal is not: he's a member of The Eye. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! I hope that you’re accepting Awards. I feel your blog is deserving! Check it out at my blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My previous comment didn't come through:

    Hi! I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! I hope that you’re accepting Awards. I feel your blog is deserving! Check it out at my blog

    http://www.page317.com/2011/08/my-very-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...