Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Heist Society by Ally Carter





"When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.
Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster's art collection has been stolen, and he wants it returned. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat’s father isn’t just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.
For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it’s a spectacularly impossible job? She’s got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family’s (very crooked) history—and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way."

I have to say that this book was not at all what I expected....well okay, maybe it was a little bit like I expected. But, it really surprised me. Now before I elaborate, let me just say that I was reluctant to read this book. Why? Well it may have had something to do with the fact that I was kind of angry at Ally Carter for abandoning Gallagher Girls (not literally) and starting a whole new series. And not to mention that the last book left us on a serious cliffhanger! But, I'm not here to talk about Gallagher Girls, I'm here to talk about Heist Society, so where was I? Oh yes, my reluctance to read it? Another reason I didn't want to read it was because a few of my friends had already read it and had told me that it was seriously lacking in the romance department...and we all know that I don't read anything that does not contain romance willingly. But, I decided to give it a try anyway,  since it was Ally Carter (whom I adore).

And what do ya' know? My friends were wrong! Which is why it surprised me.  While there wasn't really any of that kissing-I love you, and we're so meant to be together-going out on dates-stuff, there was quite a bit of that will they-or won't they-stuff. Between Hale and Kat, that is. And, there was a mini love triangle (for like a millisecond), but we won't get into that. 

What I loved about this book was not just the romance, but also the action, the adventure, the mystery, the heist. I felt like I was watching a movie while reading this. The characters were awesome and I fell in love with Hale not just once, but twice! Heist Society was brilliantly written and I know Ally Carter must have done loads of research...either that or she herself is secretly a part of a heist society...but I'm pretty sure it's the former. The way she told the story  is what really just kept me going, kept me wanting more.  I'm not usually a fan of stories told in the third person (which I will elaborate on at a later date), but I absolutely loved this one.  

I cannot wait for the Book  2, Uncommon Criminals, to come out (hopefully I can find an ARC or Galley before then). Ally Carter really outdid herself this time. This one deserves five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...